Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Stamping on feathers.

No, I hadn't heard of doing such a thing either but Fran Seiford who owns Stampendous shows us this wonderful technique in her new book Embossing Techniques from A-Z.



I'm hooked.

Here is a card I have done as a swap card for an Australian cardmaking group I have joined called Boomerang Stampers List. It is a Yahoo group and has been very welcoming. I hope the recipient doesn't see this post before she gets her card but I just couldn't wait to share.



I used the new Stampendous stamp set by Andy Skinner called Shabby Chic. I also used the long border stamp from the Filigree stamp set down one side. I stamped the brown goose feather with one of the border stamps from the Elegant Borders Clear Stamp set and heat embossed with Gold Detail embossing powder. The final touch was moulded paper clay buttons using one of our silicone moulds that has been highlighted with gold rub on paste.

ASCRS05 Shabby Chic
CRS5073 Filigree

SSC1122 Elegant borders

I have tried different feathers and have a clear favourite. Turkey feathers are too fluffy and difficult to stamp but it does work on the flat top bits. Quill feathers are great but have a large spine down the middle (not sure of the correct name for it), but goose feathers are great! I bought a pack of 50 from Spotlight for under $5.00 and it had brown, black, cream and grey feathers in the pack. I hope you all give this a try.

Happy crafting,
Julie.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Julie. Sonds like a book I should have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Collette. They are in stock and yes, it is a book well worth having.

      Delete
  2. The outcome is beautiful Julie. Wow. Who would have thought stamping on feathers could look so gorgeous! The goose would be so proud! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, this is STUNNING! That feather is fantastic, LOVE it, and how it adds a vignette of sorts to the Andy Skinner stamps. Fabulous card, and the recipient is going to be delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXCITING technique and BEAUTIFUL card!!!
    ... will definitely be checking out the feathers on my next visit to Spotlight :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the design and technique, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is very beautiful;the gold embossing on the dark feather is stunning. If you please, what is "Spotlight"? I didn't find it with google :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teri. Thank you for your kind comment. Spotlight is a chain store here in Australia much like Michaels.

      Delete